Sunday, October 2, 2011

A day in the life


So we are driving back from Portland when I start to get a pretty bad sore throat. I think to myself “great now I am getting sick and I will give it to my family” But I get home and find out I do not have to worry about that, everyone is already sick. We all got sick at the same time. So I get home from an exhausting trip to an exhausted husband who is not feeling well, and two sick little girls. It was a rough night! I should have had the next day off, but due to some items that the boss came out with at the meeting, I was going to need to go to work. I figured I could go in early stay for about 4 hours and then get out of there and come home so that Ben could get some things done that he had been waiting on me to come back for. So as I am getting ready to go to work, I call the doctor at 7:30am to see if there was a time we could bring the girls in to see him. They could fit us in right at 8:30, but could not see us at any other time. So I go wake Ben up and let him know that the doctor can see the girls soon, and if he wanted to shower and get ready he would need to get up right then. He was pretty bummed about that since it was the first time since I had gotten back the day before the girls had actually gotten to sleep at the same time and he could sleep.
While he was showering I got the girls up and dressed and ready to go so that once he was ready we could just go. We got to the doctor and pretty much he said what I thought he would say, and that is they have a cold. Gave us some idea of what to expect and then sent us on our way. We stop by Walgreens on our way home because our humidifier had died on us this past winter, and we needed a new one.
Once we get home, I feed the girls, and then pretty much leave to go to work. As I park and am just getting out of the car, my phone calendar goes off stating that I have a dentist appointment at 11. It was 10:50. Dang it! So back into the car I go and off to the dentist. I text my boss again letting her know that the girls were done with their appointment, but I had forgotten I had a dentist appt, so I was headed there, and once done with that I would make it to work.
At the dentist I find out that I have a cavity underneath one of my caps, and they are going to have to remove the cap, fix the cavity, and then recap the tooth to the tune of probably 2 grand. Awesome! Plus I think it is a cap that I had done in the past 5 years. Hence if it is I will have to pay all of it since insurance does not pay for a cap to be replaced before 5 years. More awesome!
Get done with that and back to work I go. I get to work, and start doing the stuff that I had to get done and turned in by that day. I get it done, and during all this get interrupted a bizzillon times. But the boss wanted to see it and sign off on it before I submit it, so I go into her and she gets the first section looked at and we get interrupted… this takes about a half hour to resolve…this happens 4 more times. I finally have to stop what I am doing and text Ben let him know I am not going to make it home to feed the girls, and go into my office and pump. Thank goodness I had my pump stuff with me.
It turns out with all the interruptions, and things that I get pulled into, I do not end up leaving until it is time to feed the girls again. I am rushing home pretty sure that one of them is going to be waking up any moment and screaming at the top of their lungs for me to feed them before I can get home. Sure enough I text Ben to let him know I am on my way and one is already crying. This makes me so mad when I go to work and can’t get out of there on time to be able to get home and feed my girls.
Once again we have a terrible night. I got very little sleep, and I am not sure Ben got any. I close the next day, so do not have to go in until afternoon. So Ben and I pull the girls into bed with us about 7am, just to be able to get a little sleep. It does not turn out to well, because of their poor little stuffed up noses and not being able to breathe. But we do end up getting a bit of sleep. I go to work and I am so tired I can hardly stand it. But alas, I have a job to do! I show up just in time to see one of my managers come out of my office and let me know that he is using my office to do an investigation into an associate who was stealing from us. Great…first order of business fire an associate for theft. So I get all the facts, write up the termination and do that. Then the Salon which no longer has a manager is a wreck and all the associates keep coming up and having drama and issues which they feel I have to be involved in. I get nothing done I am supposed to and it gets to be 6pm…time for me to be out on the floor. So I get out on the floor and see that we are doing pretty well. We close an hour later than normal, so the supervisors do an awesome job of getting everyone motivated to get the store clean so we don’t leave very much for the morning crew to do.
We get most of it done, and get out of there about 11:30p. I get home once again to sick babies and an exhausted spouse ready to turn it all over to me, who is also exhausted! We make it through another rough night, and today I had the day off. So I was able to help Ben a bit, and we got a little sleep again this morning. But my girl I had charge of this morning had other plans than to sleep so I was up pretty early and figured I might as well get started on the chores that had been neglected for two weeks due to all the travel! I worked on the dishes (which Ben had actually mostly gotten done the day before) and got laundry started. Tried to clean what I could with a baby in my arms.
Tried out a sling to hold Ana while I worked that I had gotten for free, and could not figure out how it worked so gave up on that idea. Finally got her back to sleep and put her down, and hurried fast to get some things done that I needed both hands for.
Then the other one woke up, and decided that it was time to eat! So fed the girls and this time they were tired and went right back to sleep! Hallelujah! So Ben went out and did the yard work while I wrote thank you cards and kept the laundry going.
This just keeps repeating all day! We had the cable guy come and fix our cable box, and the internet guy come and fix our internet yesterday and today so hopefully that will work better now!
I gave the girls baths while Ben was at the barber getting a haircut, and they were not happy about that! They normally love bath time, but this time I just think they are still really grumpy because they feel yucky still. Having them be sick just makes everything a little bit harder!
So here I am at 11pm writing this post because I know that they are going to wake up the minute I lay down if I do so and want to eat, so I will just stay up until they wake up to eat, and save myself the frustration of just getting to sleep to be woken up. I am so very tired!

3 comments:

  1. This post makes me tired just reading it. You are really amazing to keep up with everything. Hopefully your girls are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is actually Aaron.

    Sis... You and Ben keep up the good work! I can't say that I know how you feel since we never had twins but I can say that the hard days do pay off to awesome days. Sometimes I have to remind myself that each day will get better somehow. Those sound like rough days and I wish there was something we could do to help so encouragement is what I can give. Ben you are the MAN!!!

    We love you all and hope that you'll all get better and get a good nights rest soon. : )

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love you Mel, Ben, Emily and Ana.
    Your lives are wild and crazy---but I believe things really will even out and you will really be able to enjoy and feel the peace of having those sweet and tender daughters of God in your home. I wish I could come and spend some time with you. . . . the district meeting just was the absolutely wrong time for me. I do love you all.

    ReplyDelete