Dreams…
Since I went to visit the young lady who works for me in the hospital after she had her twins who were 5 weeks earlier than mine (they were so small) I have been having dreams about babies in the NICU.
That was one of the most stressful 2 weeks of my life. I am sure that I will have more situations in my life now that I have children, and I now get to worry about them every minute of my life.
But seeing her two little girls, and how small and helpless they were, and they were on feeding tubes, and oxygen, and all that jazz, and it is so hard to see them and how hard they will fight for their life, and how much you want to just hold them and rock them and tell them it will be ok. But hers were small enough and so early that she could only hold them for an hour a day.
I would have had a terrible time with this. At least I got to hold my girls each time I fed them. Which was every 3 or 4 hours. I wanted to hold them more, but understood that they needed to stay in their little cribs. My heart went out to this young girl who wanted to hold her babies so badly, yet had to go home because she was discharged from the hospital.
Wow! It is so great that you went to visit her. I am sure it helped to have someone there that can relate somewhat to her situation. Parenthood certainly changes everything. We will always worry about our kids no matter where we go or how old they are.
ReplyDelete