Monday, December 2, 2013

My Grandma Dayley

My dear Grandma passed away on Friday, Nov. 29, 2013, at the age of 99 years.  Here is her obituary.


BURLEY — Mabel LaPriel Korth Dayley was born April 9, 1914, to Frederick and Rose Korth in Fielding, Utah. She was the eighth child of 11 children. The last seven children were girls, and Mabel was the middle of the seven. Can you imagine the hormones in that family??!! She had a delightful childhood. Mabel was a bit of a tomboy, loved the outdoors and sports. She hoed and thinned beets with a short-handled hoe and herded the cows to and from the pasture in the summer.
After she graduated from Bear River High School, she went to help her sister who lived in Twin Falls. There she met Mark Y Dayley, who was on the ward dance team. Mabel was partnered up with Mark, and that was the start of their romance. They were selected to go to the all-church dance festival in Salt Lake City and dance in the solo competition at Saltair. They fell in love on that trip to the Salt Lake Dance Festival and were married on Feb. 7, 1936, in the Logan Utah LDS Temple. They made their home in Milner, Idaho, at the Idaho Ranch. Two little girls, Janet and LaPriel, were born there. They moved to Logan, where Mark continued his education, then on to Burley where they purchased a farm southwest of town. Five more children were born, J Mark, Steven, Viola, Lee and a stillborn daughter. In addition to the six children, Mabel’s nephew, LaMar Isaacson, came to live with the family after the death of his mother. LaMar was always considered to be one of the family.
Years went by and the children grew up and all had left home except Lee, who was serving a mission in England. Then in 1974, Mark passed away and Mabel was left by herself for 39 years. She always faced the trials of life with courage and determination. Some of the last words she spoke were that she had tried to live a good life. Those who know her best would say that she succeeded.
Mabel was a wonderful wife, mother and homemaker. She always had good, hot meals on the table. She was a good cook and seamstress. She has crocheted an afghan for each of her grandchildren and many more that were given as gifts.
Mabel was a faithful member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and served in the Primary, Sunday school and Relief Society organizations. She served for 18 months as a missionary in the Florida Tampa Mission and worked for six years in the Logan Temple. She also served in the Family History Center. Mabel had a green thumb and could grow almost anything. She grew a garden until she was about 90 years old, when heart surgery limited her physical activity. She always had beautiful flowers and house plants. Her gardens have been the envy of the whole neighborhood.

I was sad to hear that she had passed but I was also very happy for her.  She had wanted to go for so long.  Now she got her request.  She was a wonderful Grandma and I remember many things living next door to her.
The first memory I have is watching Tom and Jerry on her very old school TV while Mom did errands.  I dont remember how often it was but I loved sitting in front of her old box TV and watching the cartoon.  IT was always warm and welcoming in her home.
The next memory I have is watching out the side window while my Dads shop was on fire.  It was a terrifying experience since I was very young and she was calm and collected and was making sure that the fire department was on their way and talking me through it the whole time.  I felt like everything was going to be ok because she had confidence that it would be. 
The next memories I have are of Sunday dinners.  We ate Sunday dinner with her every Sunday.  We would switch off every other and one we would eat at our house and we would have the main course and she would bring the salad and dessert.  The next we would eat at her home and she would make the main course and we would bring salad and dessert.  I always loved her salads and deserts! 
There were some main courses that I was a little leery of.  One was the roasted goose.  I wasnt a big fan of foul and the little pile of bb's that would be on your plate after eating a slice was enough to put you off it for life!  But she was a fantastic cook and some of my favorite things she made were; scones and honey butter.  Brown and white pudding, (this had a name but I don't remember what it was!) Baby peas potatoes and carrots in white sauce.  Kohlrabi and vegetable sauce.  Her rolls she had many varieties and they were all good. She made so many good things these were just my favorites.
Every once in a while I would be invited to her house on a Friday night to spend the night and stay with her on Saturday.  She would make sure you had a bath and cleaned behind your ears :) and you could use TWO towels.  One for your hair and one for your body.  When you woke up on Saturday you could choose what you wanted for breakfast and I always choose pop tarts or alphabet cereal.  Then we would hang out on Saturday.  When you were getting ready to go home you got to go and choose a gift from the dresser to take with you.  I really enjoyed those visits and I am so glad she did that with us.
Grandma was always a huge part in our lives because she lived so close and she made it important to be involved in our lives. 
Because of this I have so many wonderful memories of her.  
I feel so very blessed to have had her so close for so long.  I love her and I am so happy she is back with her husband whom she missed dearly for so many many years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment